My Photo
Name:
Location: Media, PA, United States

I grew up all over the east coast until we settled in pennsylvania my sophomore year in high school. I then went to college at Oklahoma State, graduated, then moved back home for a couple of years to figure out what to do next and prepare for grad school... then on sort of a whim I applied to the peace corps and if all goes well I will be moving to africa in june 2007! I can't wait!! I love learning and being around animals and nature, I love my friends and most of my family :) I have no idea what I want to do with my life, maybe go to grad school in anthropology? Not sure about after that though. So, why go to africa? With plans like mine, why NOT go to africa??

Thursday, December 11, 2008

wow america's cold! So i'm back in america, turns out i caught some strange african disease so i'm here in washington, dc to get better. they're going to do surgery and take out a piece of lymph node tomorrow to see what kind of fun parasites are inside. awesome. I'm just worried that they may not let me come back since i only have nine months left. But I really want to come back!! I feel bad leaving my students since the school is already understaffed, i have tests and stuff to give, i have projects planned like a theatre group and a school garden that i really want to get done, i have all these vacations planned not to mention that francois and my friends and my dogs are over there. I really want to go to the ivory coast in august :( we shall see. For now, i'm somewhat enjoying america, eating at every moment i'm not asleep, feeling cold for the first time in 2 years, having REAL coffee with international delight coffee creamer, and discovering things like peppermint hersey kisses! And chocolate skittles??? And John and Kate plus eight. My family picked me up from the airport, i'm staying at a really sweet place with a bedroom, living room, and kitchen and has lots of public transport options. There's other peace corps medevacs here from other countries, and another one from burkina faso! Alexis drove up and spent the day with me yesterday which was nice. Friday after the surgery I may be heading up to spend the weekend at home in philly!! That'll be awesome i'll get to see the dogs and the house and the neighborhood :)

so most of my free time is spent considering what to do now. Best case senario, they figure out whats wrong with me, fix me really fast and send me back to africa with no problems. I have 45 days to get better and then if everyone is cool about it they will fly me back to continue working in the same village. If recovery takes longer than that and i can't recover in africa for some reason they will send me home to philly and then within one year once im better i can apply to be reinstated in the same country but in a different program and a different village. After a year i have to completely reapply to the peace corps. Well, after a year i would probably have to find another job in burkina since the odds of getting the same country are pretty slim. The whole reason, of course, that im thinking so much about all of this is cause i dont want to leave francois. well, we shall see what happens. we should know more next week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home