My Photo
Name:
Location: Media, PA, United States

I grew up all over the east coast until we settled in pennsylvania my sophomore year in high school. I then went to college at Oklahoma State, graduated, then moved back home for a couple of years to figure out what to do next and prepare for grad school... then on sort of a whim I applied to the peace corps and if all goes well I will be moving to africa in june 2007! I can't wait!! I love learning and being around animals and nature, I love my friends and most of my family :) I have no idea what I want to do with my life, maybe go to grad school in anthropology? Not sure about after that though. So, why go to africa? With plans like mine, why NOT go to africa??

Saturday, August 04, 2007

im really happy here and i want to talk about how awesome things are here cause im in a happy mood today. i love alot of things about stag i sure hope i like my site as much as i like stag. its hard for me to describe how awesome the people are here. the lcfs (trainers) im convinced are the greatest people in the world. theyre all burkinabe and they are the most proficient english speakers ive met in country. i really dont know how they got so good in english because my counterpart got his degree in english and he was the best english speaker of all the counterparts at the workshop and his english wasnt as good as the lcfs. someone said the lcfs left country to learn english, like to europe or something but my lcf vini (hes SO awesome!) said he has only ever left burkina once, when he went to cote d'ivoire a few years ago. but vini is an amazing english speaker and he also speaks italian and spanish and native languages and the guy i was tutoring with is named patrice and hes fluent in im convinced every language. tutoring is my favorite part of the day now isnt that just weird?? theyre also just the most awesome people youd ever meet anywhere like the other day in tutoring i got a call on my phone from someone speaking french and i couldnt understand him so i handed the phone to patrice and he talked to him for me. and the first week in country, when i managed to get myself hopelessly lost and scared out of my mind in this big scary city a burkinabe saw me and took pity and called the peace corps and told them theres a lost white person here and three lcfs showed up within minutes in a car to drive me and my bike home. i now realize i was about a block away from my house. and theyre always happy and joking and laughing and about everything theyre the kind of people you want to hang out no matter where you are. 30 minutes late to class cause you were doing your laundry and you started too late cause youre just lazy like that? pas de probleme! oops sorry i just ran over your foot with my bike cause i was stupid and not paying attention! nah, c`est pas grave, pas de probleme! i swear they say pas de probleme fifty times a day and when youre freaking out because youre in a strange new culture and you just majorly screwed up AGAIN and you have to appologize AGAIN cause everythings so different here and you cant keep your times and cultures and customs straight, you need every one of those pas de problemes. seriously, pas de probleme makes everything better. pas de probleme is the answer to all of lifes little problems. its the theme song of my life here, like hakuna matata!
oh and being late is no big deal here cause nothing ever starts on time, the accronym we all say here is WAIT: West African International! Time haha! this is my kind of place!

1 Comments:

Blogger Hope said...

Hey Cassandra! I am so excited to finially hear how you are doing! Your are officially my hero! Very amazing! I've read all about your training - pretty cool. Did you ever get my package? I sent it back in June, but I thought you would write back - I'll try again. Take care of yourself - Hope

6:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home