My Photo
Name:
Location: Media, PA, United States

I grew up all over the east coast until we settled in pennsylvania my sophomore year in high school. I then went to college at Oklahoma State, graduated, then moved back home for a couple of years to figure out what to do next and prepare for grad school... then on sort of a whim I applied to the peace corps and if all goes well I will be moving to africa in june 2007! I can't wait!! I love learning and being around animals and nature, I love my friends and most of my family :) I have no idea what I want to do with my life, maybe go to grad school in anthropology? Not sure about after that though. So, why go to africa? With plans like mine, why NOT go to africa??

Thursday, April 19, 2007

my first peace corps post as a 24 year old!! My birthday was on the 14th :)

Haha okay anyway, so, today I was going to finally write an email to smartwareetc.com because I had ordered a tropic screen tent from them about 10 days ago and they still hadn't sent me an email with a tracking number. I figured they had shipped it and the email somehow just didn't get to me. No, no, I opened my email to find an email from them saying, actually, they don't have that tent. Hhmmm thats interesting, since it's still up on their site and it took them ten days to tell me they're not sending my tent.

I became instantly bitter about all online retailers. I went right out and bought everything I need for the trip from local stores. Seriously, everything. I shopped for 7 hours. I went to REI, EMS, radio shak, jc pennies, k-mart, and sears. I bought a mosquito tent, a tarp, a sleeping bag, a camping mattress, a non-stick pan, a spatula, can opener, more kitchen stuff, a headlamp, a sewing kit, a good knife, power converters and adapters, a 2gb camera card, travel clock/alarm/thermometer/calendar, rechargable batteries, a converter for my battery charger, and a TON of other stuff. I spent a fortune. I came home, moved money around and I now have 65 dollars in my savings account hahaha! But I am returning 100 dollars worth of stuff tomorrow at radio shak because it doesn't fit (2gig camera card), doesn't work (battery charger converter) or I decided I don't actually need them (super-high capacity rechargable batteries).\

SSsoooo ya, I discovered that shopping for seven hours is really tiring cause I'm really tired right now, I'm going to watch tv and go to bed!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Aaron said...

Hey I am glad that you finally got all of your stuff and in one big trip too. At least you will have a little money left over after you got all of your stuff. I am a little saddened that you got all of your stuff before I have even gotten mine.

7:27 PM  
Blogger Heather Ponzer said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!
24 is a good age. (I should know because I have been 24 for almost a year). Congrats on getting your packing done. I am a bit disenchanted with online shopping as well...but it is so convenient. It is not nearly as tiring, though.
Enjoy you B-Day! (or belated B-Day)

8:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home